With legal NHL betting in Maryland, you can bet on the sport from anywhere in the old line state using your computer or mobile device.
That means that it’s time to brush up on how hockey wagers work and figure out the best ways to bet online.
This article will cover these topics and more. As a result, you will have the tools to make strategic, informed decisions to maximize your profit in Maryland.
NHL betting guide – MD
In order to successfully bet on the NHL in Maryland, make sure to follow this guide. Do your homework. Think with your head and not your heart when placing hockey bets, and you will be sure to do well. Good luck!
Top rated sportsbooks for NHL betting in Maryland 2021
Here are our favorite sportsbooks for online hockey betting in Maryland:
- FanDuel: This industry leader is a favorite among online bettors, and for a good reason. They offer excellent sign-on bonuses,
- DraftKings: Another huge player in the world of sports betting is DraftKings. This sportsbook has one of the best apps around with a sleek, easy-to-navigate interface.
- Barstool: Once a controversial sports blog, Barstool is now a competitive sportsbook, climbing up the ranks to become a favorite among hockey-betting enthusiasts.
- PointsBet: This Australian-born company has made it all the way to Maryland and wants you to place hockey bets on their app. That means you get some awesome promos and daily boosters since they are looking to grow their user base in the US
- BetMGM: You’ve likely heard of MGM in Las Vegas. Well, this is their sportsbook platform, and it does not disappoint.
Don’t be afraid to try out more than one MD sportsbook. In fact, you should always compare odds so that you make the most money possible on your hockey bets. Every sportsbook is different, and some specialize in certain bets while others have better daily odds boosters. Look into them all and take advantage of the perks each Maryland online gambling sites offers.
NHL online betting in Maryland 2021
Let’s get you familiar with how online sportsbooks in Maryland work.
You can easily sign up with a sportsbook using your computer, but downloading Maryland sports betting apps allows you to access stats, check odds, and get in on the betting action from anywhere in state lines that have internet.
It’s easy to get started. Just follow these four steps to get, and you’ll be betting on hockey in Maryland in no time:
- Download a Maryland mobile sports betting app.
- Sign up to create an account.
- Deposit funds.
- Complete a bet slip.
Step 1: Download a Maryland mobile sports betting app
On your mobile device, head to the iOS or Android store and download the Maryland sportsbook app of your choice.
It’s really as simple as that. Once the app is downloaded onto your mobile device, you can begin the next step.
Step 2: Sign up to create an account
The mobile sportsbook app will automatically prompt you to set up an account. You will need to complete the following steps:
- Create a username.
- Enter your email.
- Create a password.
- Add any promo codes.
- Agree to the terms.
You will be prompted to verify your information. You will usually be required to enter the following information:
- First and last name
- Home address
- Last four digits of your social security number
Typically that’s all that sportsbooks apps will require for you to start betting on the NHL in Maryland.
Step 3: Deposit funds
It’s simple to deposit funds into your account, with most Maryland sportsbooks offering multiple banking options:
- Credit cards
- Debit Cards
- Bank Account
You will usually see a deposit or a cashier option. Click on that and then enter how much money you would like to deposit. Confirm your transaction, and your funds will likely be ready that instant.
Step 4: Check the odds and create a bet slip
Sportsbooks apps make creating a bet slip so incredibly easy you barely have to think about anything at all. ,But, remember this is real money – your hard-earned money – so you want to make sure that you check the odds to make sure that you are making an informed, strategic bet.
You will have plenty of NHL bets to choose from. Make sure to read onto the next section as we cover the specific types of bets.
Once you are ready and find what NHL wager you would like to bet on, all you need to do is click on it, and a bet slip will appear. Next, you enter the amount of money you would like to bet, and the app will automatically show you what your profit will be if you win.
You can add more wagers to the bet slip, making it quite a seamless process. Then, when you are ready, just click “Place Bet” on the bet slip, and you are good to go.
How to bet on the NHL in Maryland
There are plenty of NHL betting options, from straightforward money line wagers to complex parlays. We break them all down in this section.
NHL Moneyline bets
A money line bet is one of the most straightforward, popular wagers across all sports. The NHL is no different, and betting the money line is simple and fun, especially if you win.
Speaking of winning, that’s what the money line is all about – who will win the game. You are simply betting on who will win.
Understanding the odds is important as that tells you which team is the favorite and what you will potentially profit from.
- The team with a negative (-) symbol next to the money line odds is the favorite. The number beside the negative symbol tells you what you need to wager to profit $100. For example, if the odds are -110, you will need to bet $110 to make a profit of $100.
- The team with a positive (+) symbol next to it is the underdog. The number beside the positive symbol is how much you will profit on a $100 bet. For example, if the odds are +120, you will profit $120 on a $100 bet.
NHL Puck Line bets
The puck line in hockey betting is equivalent to the point spread in other sports.
However, in hockey, the puck line is almost always posted at 1.5 goals. So what does this mean for you? Let’s look at two different scenarios:
- Scenario 1: The Washington Capitals’ puck line is posted at -1.5. They are the favorite, so you bet on them. To win your bet on the Capitals, you will need them to win by at least two goals.
- Scenario 2: The Washington Capitals’ puck line is posted at +1.5. They are the underdog, and therefore get a little extra padding. To win a wager on the Capitals, who are the underdog in this scenario, you need them to lose by one goal or win outright.
Over/Under (Totals) bets
A sportsbook sets the totals line (usually somewhere between 5 and 6.5 in the NHL), and you decide whether you think the final outcome will be over or under that number. The total is the combined score between both teams at the end of the hockey game.
You will almost always see O/U bets as half numbers. This is to prevent a tie or “push” from happening. In that case, the bet is void, and the sportsbook has to refund your money.
NHL Futures bets
With a futures bet, you are betting on how the season will unfold before it begins. For example, you can bet on which NHL team will take the conference or even win the Stanley Cup Final. As the season progress, sportsbooks will adjust the odds.
NHL Props bets
A props bet in hockey is a wager on a specific statistic or action that will occur during a game or throughout the season. For example, you can bet on who will be the first to score a goal in a game, if there will be a fight in the first period, or how many assists a certain player will have.
NHL Parlay bets
Parlay bets are some of the most difficult wagers to master. The reason is that you are combining two or more wagers, and they must all win for you to win the bet. You can make a lot of money with parlays, but that’s because the risk is incredibly high.
In-Game (Live) betting on the NHL
One of the most exciting ways to bet on the NHL in Maryland is in-game or live betting. You can place different wagers as the game unfolds.
The sportsbook will adjust the odds as the game progresses, so pay close attention. However, during a busy NHL night with a dozen games going on, you might be able to stay one step ahead of the sportsbook.
NHL betting strategy
There are 31 NHL teams within four divisions: the East, West, North, and Central Divisions. Each team usually plays 41 home games and 41 road games during the regular season.
In order to maximize your profit, it’s important that you do your homework. So we have put together a checklist to help you make sure you are ready to place your first bet:
- Research NHL teams, their players, and most definitely their schedule.
- Study the stats. Look closely at the standings. See how teams play at home vs. the road.
- Watch all of the NHL games you can. Watch replays.
- Learn how goalies perform on the ice. Know every players’ strengths and weaknesses.
- Watch for streaks. If a team’s on a winning streak, they are hard to beat.
- Compare the odds across multiple sportsbooks so that you get the best bang for your buck.
By sticking with this checklist, you can feel confident about betting on the NHL in Maryland.