Knowledge is power, especially in the world of sports betting. When you understand how different types of bets work, have specific strategies in place for each type, and consider all variables, you are paving your own path to success. Experience doesn’t hurt either, of course. In this article, we focus specifically on over/under or totals betting. This popular, potentially profitable form of sports betting is numbers-driven rather than being all about the win.
- Best sportsbooks for Over/Under Bets Maryland 2023
- Guide to Over/Under Bets in Maryland
- Best Maryland betting site to place Over/Under bets
- How does Over/Under bets work in Maryland?
- Over/Under betting odds in Maryland
- Over/Under betting strategy
- FAQ’s About Over-Under Bets Maryland
Best sportsbooks for Over/Under Bets Maryland 2023
Over/Under Bets Maryland: All sites are 100% legal & licensed by the state.
|DraftKings Sportsbook Bet $5, get $150 in bonus bets||Bet now DraftKings MD promo code|
|Betfred Sportsbook Get up to $1,111 in Fred Bets||Bet now|
|BetRivers Sportsbook Up to $500 in bonus bets||Bet now BetRivers MD bonus code|
|Caesars Sportsbook Up to $1,500 in bet credits||Bet now Caesars MD bonus code|
|FanDuel Sportsbook Bet $5 get $200 in bonus bets||Bet now FanDuel Maryland promo|
|BetMGM Sportsbook Up to $1,000 in bonus bets||Bet now BetMGM Maryland bonus|
Guide to Over/Under Bets in Maryland
If you are just starting out in the world of over-under betting or don’t have experience and are looking to up your game, you have come to the right place. We explain how Totals bets work, how to calculate the odds and sport-specific odds.
We’ve thrown in the best sportsbooks in Maryland because you will want to go ahead and start placing bets once you read this article. Let’s begin by looking at what exactly over/under bets in Maryland are all about.
Best Maryland betting site to place Over/Under bets
If you are looking for a legal sportsbook in Maryland, we’ve got you covered. Below are our top picks of the best sportsbooks in Maryland.
FanDuel Sportsbook Maryland is one of the best and most popular sportsbooks in the sports betting industry. With a long list of betting options, a clean interface, and a variety of deposit methods, they has quite a loyal customer base. In fact, over 4 million sports enthusiasts have downloaded the FD app.
The provider offers new users a 20% deposit bonus of up to $500. If you are interested in FD, you will need to create an account and make a minimum deposit of $10. Then go for it by placing your first bet (up to $1,000), and if you win, you get your wager back along with the profit.
The good news is that you will receive a refund within 72 hours if you lose the bet. The refund will be in site credit.
WynnBET Maryland is right up there with FanDuel in popularity. It’s the real deal, with an impressive, modern app that offers extensive betting options. They was founded in Boston in 2012 and currently leads the industry in sports betting offerings.
New users receive a $50 free bet and a 20% deposit bonus up to $1,000. To receive the cash (not site credit), you must place another bet equal to your first bet, and it must be on a game with -300 or lower odds.
Vegas megastar MGM Resorts International is the owner of the operator, the first-rate sportsbook in Maryland that comes highly rated among players. As a new BetMGM Maryland user, your first bet is risk-free up to $600. So if you lose your first over/under bet you place, They will refund your wager in free bets. Just deposit at least $10 to get started.
Barstool Over/Under bets
This provider got the attention of sports enthusiasts with a blog and podcasts featuring some entertaining, sometimes controversial folks. Fast forward a few years, and they launches its own sportsbook. Fast forward just a short time later, and the site grows exponentially, thanks to a strong debut and excellent reviews.
As a new Barstool Sportsbook Maryland user, you get a first-time deposit bonus of up to $500. Oh yeah, and you get 10 bucks just for signing up.
PointsBet Over Unders
From the land down under, this operator has made its way to the US in a big way. Maryland, to be specific. PointsBet Maryland offers a unique and exciting betting system that is different from our other picks.
This brand stands out from all of the others because of the many options clients can select from and utilize. The main highlight, to begin with, is the mobile app clients can download. Within the features of the app, various bonus deals are offered and available to all new clients. This is very appealing to many, which in turn gives it high ratings.
New users receive up to a $1,500 refund in free bets if your first PointsBetting Bet loses and up to $500 if your first Fixed-Odds Bet loses. Some would call that a win-win.
How does Over/Under bets work in Maryland?
Over/under betting starts with a sportsbook’s prediction of how many points two teams will score during a game. The sportsbook then adds the numbers together to get the total, which they post online for bettors to consider. Finally, bettors decide if they think the two teams will score a combined total that’s higher or lower than the posted total.
We are going to try and keep it simple by looking at the main themes of over/under bets in Maryland:
- The only concern with an over/under bet is the total points scored in a game – not who wins the game.
- While you will typically see over/under bets based on the total score of two teams, sportsbooks also offer bets that are based on the total number of a specific action during a game, such as the number of rushing yards hole-in-ones, or RBIs.
- Say a sportsbook posts the totals line at 212.5 for an NBA basketball game. Over wins if the two teams score a total of 213 or more. Under bettors win if the two teams score a total number of 212 or less.
- Half numbers are used to prevent a tie, which is referred to as a “push” in the world of over/under betting. A push means the sportsbook must void the bet and refund all wagers.
- Sportsbooks usually set the odds at -110, which means to make a profit of $100, you must bet $110. All Maryland sports betting sites have commission fees, which is why your profit $100 instead of $110.
- The goal of a sportsbook is to make sure that both sides of a bet see equal action because then they are guaranteed a profit. When one side starts to see more action, a sportsbook might shift the odds to get bettors interested in the other side. For example, -110 might become -105. This means that the odds are usually the same for both over and under-wagers.
Let’s take a closer look at the over/under betting odds in Maryland.
Over/Under betting odds in Maryland
So, we’ve covered that an over/under bet is the total number of points scored by both teams in a game. However, what are the odds, exactly? Well, sportsbooks set the odds and the totals line, but the odds are generally the same because the sportsbook wants to ensure they make a profit.
As we’ve mentioned, a Maryland online gambling site will shift the line to keep both sides equal. Ok, ok. You get it – it’s time for an example.
The Orioles are facing the Yankees. A sportsbook sets the totals line at 9.5. Ok, so you and pretty much everyone else placing a bet think it’s going to be under. So what does a sportsbook do? They shift the odds.
Original odds are as follows:
- 9.5 over -110
- 9.5 under -110
In both cases, the sportsbook would have to pay out $100 on a $110 bet.
The sportsbook sees that the “over” isn’t seeing much action, if any. Time to switch things up to make bettors consider placing an over bet.
The new odds set by a sportsbook are as follows:
- 9.5 over -105
- 9.5 under -110
Now, bettors will be more profitable if they place an over bet, making it more enticing. For example, they would make $104.76 on a $100 bet.
Over/Under betting strategy
An over/under betting strategy is not the same across all sports. To make the most of each and every bet you place, it’s imperative to be strategic based on what sport you are betting on. Of course, there are some factors you should take into consideration for the majority of sports, such as the following:
- Game Day Location: Where is the game? Indoors? Outdoors? Who has the home team advantage?
- Weather conditions: Is it rainy or windy? Is one team playing in extreme heat that’s not used to it? Are temperatures hovering around freezing?
- Injuries: Does one team have half of its starting lineup out due to injuries?
- Recent results: Look at the team’s recent performance and if they have typically been over or under totals lines.
- Study up: Closely look at the player or team you are betting on. Analyze stats.
- Offense vs. Defense: How do both teams play offensively and defensively?
Summary of Totals betting in MD
You get the idea of over/under betting in Maryland, or at least we hope so. You’ve got the basics here and a list of the best sportsbooks in Maryland. However, don’t forget how important it is to do your homework.
Research the stats, compare sportsbooks sites, take advantage of betting bonuses, and get all the experience possible. It’s exhilarating, potentially profitable, and so much fun. We wish you all the luck as you bet over/under on sports teams in Maryland and the United States.
FAQ’s About Over-Under Bets Maryland
Do Over/Under odds include overtime? Almost every over/under total offered by sportsbooks in Maryland includes overtime.
If you’re betting on Over-Under odds in a game and the totals are exact, you will have your bets refunded by the sportsbook. Neither Over nor Unders are paid out.
Basically, every sportsbook and online betting site in MD offers odds on Totals.
As a bettor, you select the Over if you believe the game’s final combined score will be 49 points or more. Conversely, you should select the Under option if your mind is set on the totals to be 48 points or less.