Baseball fans across the US have found a way to inject new life into an old pastime. And now that baseball betting in MD is legal, fans in the Old Line State can enjoy it, too. In this article, we’re going to show you exactly how to bet on baseball in Maryland. We’ve got everything you need to know about sportsbooks (including 5 of the best). We’ll show you the types of bets you can leverage. We’ll even give you tips on how to bet like a pro. Got questions? We’ve got answers.
- Best Baseball Betting sites in MD 2022
- Baseball betting guide MD
- Top Baseball betting Maryland
- Choose your Baseball betting site – MD
- Know your Baseball bets in Maryland
- Know the tricks of Baseball betting MD
- FAQ’s About Baseball Betting in MD
Best Baseball Betting sites in MD 2022
Baseball Betting in MD: All sites are 100% legal & licensed by the state.
|Caesars Sportsbook Up to $1,500 Free Bet bonus||Bet now Caesars MD bonus code|
|Fanduel Sportsbook Bet $5, get $200 in free bets||Bet now FanDuel Maryland promo|
|DraftKings Sportsbook Bet $5, get $200 in free bets||Bet now DraftKings MD promo code|
|BetRivers Sportsbook 2nd chance Free Bet up to $500||Bet now BetRivers MD bonus code|
|BetMGM Sportsbook Up to $1,000 First Bet Insurance||Bet now BetMGM Maryland bonus|
|Pointsbet Sportsbook 5 X $100 in Free Bets||Bet now Pointsbet Maryland bonus|
Baseball betting guide MD
Don’t let baseball betting in Maryland intimidate you. Building your strategy is simple—and fun—if you follow this guide.
And with only a few steps to get you into the swing of things, there’s never been a better time to try it. The Old Line State is on track to be one of the most competitive markets in baseball betting in the next few years—and we want you to be there to capitalize.
Top Baseball betting Maryland
Here are our top 5 picks for MD gambling sites to consider for baseball betting in Maryland.
- DraftKings: Easy-to-navigate interface, clean layout, great bonuses, and a reliable app on iOS and Android.
- PointsBet: Great variety of baseball markets, solid daily betting menu, high performance for moneyline and run line wagers, generous welcome bonus.
- FanDuel: Solid Futures betting, generous welcome offer, and deposit matching, user-friendly interface. Excellent prop bets on offer.
- William Hill: Popular for its sign-up offer package, prop bets and boosted odds on the moneyline and futures markets. Good mobile app on iOS and Android.
- BetMGM: Part of the world-famous MGM brand, this is an uber-competitive sportsbook known for quick payouts, strong sign-up offers, attractive bonuses, and some of the best odds available. Lightning-fast electronic verification.
Choose your Baseball betting site – MD
You’re going to want more than one Maryland sportsbook. Ideally, you’ll have a handful of carefully chosen sportsbooks to choose from. Why?
In simple terms, you don’t want to be putting all your eggs in one basket. Some sportsbooks specialize in futures betting (don’t worry, we’ll tell you which one that is). Some specialize in moneyline and run line bets (ditto). The wager you want to make will determine which sportsbook is best for you.
So before you jump into baseball betting in Maryland, you’ll want to build your stable. Here’s how to do that.
Trustworthiness is one of the key elements to choosing the right baseball betting sportsbook. Are they honest in their dealings? Are their reviews generally positive? Are they reliable in paying out winnings? Are they licensed?
Effectively: Can you trust them?
There are plenty of scam sites out there when it comes to baseball betting in Maryland. You want to avoid those. Instead, find sportsbooks that are legit, legal, and operate honestly.
There are really only two factors you need to look at here:
- Do they pay out fast?
- Is it easy and secure to deposit funds?
With the first factor, you want a sportsbook that lets you withdraw easily and with minimal fees. These should be methods that you recognize and allow you to get your winnings into your bank account fast—usually within 48 hours.
By default, you’ll be able to withdraw funds to the same account that your deposits come from. So, if you top up your sportsbook account with Paypal, your payouts will go there. All reputable sportsbooks also offer credit and debit card deposits, as well as ACH transfers.
You might also see person-to-person options (so…check), but this is slow and cumbersome.
Often, there’ll be a maximum and minimum withdrawal limit set by the site, so check what it is. Likewise, there is a deposit limit set when you sign up. If you want to increase this, you’ll need to provide some personal information.
Baseball betting site security
While we’re on the topic of providing personal information, let’s talk about staying safe online.
Any legitimate sportsbook will use a 3D Secure payment system for processing your deposits. They’ll have their security protocols clearly laid out in their FAQs section. In addition, they’ll use digital encryption certification to protect your privacy.
Want to know the quickest way to check a site’s security? Look for a padlock in the URL toolbar at the top of the page.
Do you see it? That means the sportsbook uses either SSL or TSL protocols. SSL—Secure Sockets Layer—and TSL—Transport Security Layer—are issued to protect your data.
Can’t see the padlock? That means you are using an unsecured site.
Check the perks
First up—you want bonuses. You deserve bonuses. A competitive sportsbook will offer promos and attractive betting bonuses to help you build your bankroll.
When you’re starting out with baseball betting in Maryland, bonuses can help you establish yourself. Look for:
- Welcome offers
- Sign up bonuses
- Daily sign-in rewards
- Deposit matches
- Weekly reloads
Lucrative bonus offers mean more bang for your buck. They encourage your loyalty. Best of all, they give you more room to move when you’re learning the ropes of baseball betting in Maryland.
Check the Baseball odds
Let’s say all things are equal across the Maryland online gambling sites you’ve looked at. They all demonstrate trustworthiness. They all offer solid bonuses. They all offer the same deposit and withdrawal terms. They’re all secure.
The next step is to filter out those that don’t offer strong baseball odds and betting lines. We are, after all, betting on baseball. When you’re using a sportsbook for betting on baseball in MD, it needs to deliver competitive betting lines and solid odds. When a sportsbook has a comprehensive baseball line-up, you can also expect:
- Up to date information on games
- Competitive odds
- An extensive assortment of prop bets
- A streamlined live in-game betting interface
Some sportsbooks are well-known for offering quality odds in certain types of betting. Here’s an example:
- Best in Show (Deposit Bonus): DraftKings
- Best in Show (World Series Futures): PointsBet
- Best in Show (Live In-game Baseball Betting): FanDuel
- Best in Show (Payouts; Deposits) BetMGM
We all know mistakes happen. So how does a sportsbook work to resolve its mistakes? Before you sign up and deposit your hard-earned dollars, look at a couple of elements that will make all the difference if something goes wrong:
- Do they have a customer service contact number?
- Do they have an email address?
- Do they have an FAQs section?
Independent reviews—reviews not written on the actual sportsbook website—are a great way to do some research. A few negative reviews aren’t a big deal—but if they’re constantly underperforming from a user standpoint, you need to be wary.
Know your Baseball bets in Maryland
You’ve secured your sportsbooks. You’re signed up and reaping the bonuses. You’reFinally, you’re ready to go. It’s time to bet—and these are the kinds of bets you can make.
Baseball Moneyline bets
Anyone who has ever made any kind of bet has probably made a moneyline bet. You choose who wins and place a wager on that. So you’ve got the straightforward Moneyline, or you can bet on just the first five innings of a game—also known as the “First 5” line.
Oddsmakers have the moneyline at Orioles (-140) and Red Sox (+120). The negative sign indicates the favorite—in this case, Baltimore. So if you wager $140 and win, you get $100. On the flip side, if you wager $100 on the Red Sox, you’ll come away with $120.
Baseball Run Lines
This is more specific than a moneyline bet. For example, boost your payout on a favorite, or give yourself a cushion on a losing bet by putting a wager on the margin of victory.
A run line—signaled by a -1.5 or +1.5 next to your team’s name—is the same as a point spread in other sports. You’re betting on how many runs a team will win by.
Baseball Over/Under in Maryland
Oddsmakers will set the total run number, and you wager on whether you think the final total runs will be under—or over—that figure. You’re betting on a combined total for both teams.
Totals are usually set as a .5 to avoid a tie—known in baseball betting as a push. As the result of a push, bettors get a refund. If oddsmakers set the over / under as 9.5, and you choose under, you’ll need the total runs in the game to equal 9 or less to cash in.
Baseball Futures in MD
Odds to Win—AKA Futures bets—are exactly what the name suggests: you’re betting on a future outcome. Select the team that will take out a tournament, place your bet, and waits on the outcome. The most popular futures bet in baseball is (you guessed it) the World Series winner.
Futures’ odds on the World Series winner being the Orioles are +1000. You bet $100, and Baltimore takes it out. You win $1,000 cash money.
Baseball Prop Bets
With prop bets, the baseball world is pretty much your oyster. Many reputable sportsbooks will even let you create your own prop bet. Of course, you’re wagering on isolated outcomes—like if Trey Mancini will hit a home run against Houston or if Keegan Akin can hold off Jose Altuve in their first face-off.
You’re only limited by your imagination—and your research.
Live In-Game Bets
Known as live betting in Maryland, in-game betting, or a combination of the two, you’re placing your wagers while the game is in play. Great for quick-thinking bettors. It’s a fast-paced way to play with dynamic odds.
How it works…
You watch the game and bet in-app. One of the best strategies for live bettors is to build their baseball betting picks beforehand and adjust as the game progresses. Watch for things the oddsmakers might not have seen:
- Injuries that the commentators haven’t picked up on
- Changes in the weather or conditions
- Crowd reactions
Baseball Parlays in MD
A parlay is a high-risk, high-reward type of bet. You place your bet across multiple outcomes—several games, for example—and you only get a win if all the outcomes are in your favor.
You bet on several games. Your pick for the first game wins, and your winnings roll over to the next game. Your pick for the second game wins, and your winnings roll over again. Finally, your pick on the third and final game wins, and you cash out the cumulative total.
If any of your picks lose, though, you come away with nothing.
Know the tricks of Baseball betting MD
We’ve got 10 tips to improve your baseball betting picks this season. Then, maximize your edge—and your winnings—by following some advice from the pros.
- Bet with your head. Oddsmakers know that recreational bettors go for the favorites. They bet with their hearts—not their heads. Avoid overpriced odds, and stick to what the stats tell you.
- Bet on the underdog. There’s a reason people love an underdog story—it’s a great way to boost your potential gain. Many baseball betting experts can have a sub-50% win rate and still have a profitable season by laying smart bets on a plus-money underdog.
- Don’t fall for historical bias. Also known as: that team performed well last week, so they’ll probably perform well this week. Learn to analyze the statistics and eliminate the guesswork.
- Know the stats. Research teams and players to bet smarter, not harder. Look at metrics like Run support average, team performance against right and left-handed pitching, batting average, on-base percentage, and the WHIP.
- Check the weather. Winds of over 5 mph can influence results in over / under bets by up to 55% in favor of unders. Winds of over 8 mph to the outfield can influence the odds in the opposite direction, too.
- Go for variety. Use different sportsbooks for different purposes. Up here, we talked about some of the best sportsbooks for different bet types if you need a refresher.
- Don’t doubt a winning streak. Baseball is a game of streaks. Often, bettors will see a team on a winning streak and think it’s got to end soon—we call this fading the streak. You don’t know that—do the research and get some confirmation.
- Think about the bullpen. Odds are often made based on the starting pitcher. When starters average six innings per game, it pays to consider the bullpen’s performance.
- Look at the big picture. Go deep into the stats to scrutinize the different elements that make up a team’s performance. Key injuries, a winning streak, run support, the bullpen, how a player stands up to right-handed pitching, home, away splits… It all impacts the game.
FAQ’s About Baseball Betting in MD
All sports betting revenue in Maryland is earmarked for funding public education. It could put an extra $20 million a year in tax revenue into the state.
Yes, it is. Maryland’s sports betting bill was signed into law on 5/18/2021 by Gov. Larry Hogan. It was effective immediately.
Check these guidelines, and reach out to a sportsbook’s customer service team if you can’t find the answers you need.
Moneyline bets are excellent for novice baseball bettors, but we encourage you to get an understanding of every bet type to maximize your wins.
You’ll need two forms of ID, usually: proof of identity and proof of address. The former could be a passport or driver’s license, and the most common proof of address is a utility bill—like a phone, cable, electricity, or medical bill.